Washington Nationals second baseman Starlin Castro (13) during the Major League baseball game between the Philadelphia Phillies and Washington Nationals on June 22, 2021 at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia, PA.
Rich Grassle | Sportswire icon | Getty Images
The Washington Nationals announced Friday that they would release infielder Starlin Castro after completing a 30-game unpaid ban for violating Major League Baseball’s domestic violence policy.
The announcement of the Nationals came immediately after the 31-year-old Castro was suspended by the MLB.
“We take all allegations of abuse and harassment very seriously,” the Nationals said in a statement about Castro, a four-time all-star. “We fully support the commissioner’s decision and will release Starlin Castro upon completion of his suspension.”
The Nationals signed Castro on a two-year deal in January 2020.
General manager Mike Rizzo said last week that “I don’t plan to have him back this season” after Castro was given administrative leave on July 16 by MLB to investigate allegations.
“After reviewing all available evidence, I have come to the conclusion that Mr. Castro has violated our guidelines and that discipline is appropriate,” said MLB Commissioner Robert Manfred Jr.
Castro’s suspension, which begins Friday, also includes an undisclosed fine for violating MLB’s policy on collective domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse.
The MLB’s announcement did not provide any details about the allegations.
The punishment also does not entitle Castro to appear in playoffs or the World Series this season.
Castro is also required to “participate in a confidential and comprehensive assessment and treatment program monitored by the Joint Committee,” said MLB.
During his 12-year MLB career, Castro played for the Chicago Cubs, Miami Marlins and New York Yankees.
Correction: In a previous version, Rizzo’s title was incorrectly entered. He is the general manager of the Nationals.