OWN host Dr. Laura Berman and her husband Samuel Chapman gave an update on her family a little over a month after her 16-year-old son Samuel “Sammy” Berman Chapman was found dead after an accidental overdose.
The teen reportedly died after taking a pill containing fentanyl, a strong opioid used to relieve pain that can be fatal in small amounts.
On the March 20th episode of the journalist Ana GarciaOn the True Crime Daily podcast, the couple called the opioid crisis the “other pandemic” Americans face today as they detailed how their family copes after such a tragedy.
Chapman recalled finding Sammy “on his back after sucking on his own vomit”.
“I had to resuscitate, or at least try, my own son until the paramedics got here,” explained the father, adding that from this experience he is now “dealing with terrible PTSD”.
The two sons of Berman and Chapman, Ethane and Jacksonalso deal with the consequences.
“One of them gets really nervous and worried about accidentally dying because his brother did it, and the other is triggered by all the murder you see on TV,” Chapman explained. “There is nothing for it but time and feeling your feelings.”
Previously, Berman, a bestselling author and sex therapist, claimed that Sammy bought the pill from a drug dealer on Snapchat.